I’m very passionate about business, business strategy and early-start businesses! That’s partly why I became an Angel Investor. The ‘front line’ learning about technologies, business sectors, products, ideas and trends is another big part of it. Also the personal learning – from every presentation, business concept, business model, due diligence, different management teams and their skill sets and enthusiasm, every negotiated deal and deal structure….. you get the picture – the learning never stops. And then there’s the energy of the early-start and entrepreneurial community!! Talk about a great sandbox to play in!
There’s a quote I often use to describe it all:
“Sometimes Wrong, But Never In Doubt!”
It speaks to me of conviction, commitment, perseverance, determination, trial & error, and above all – energy, enthusiasm and sense of urgency!
A couple of years ago I started a lecture to an Engineering ‘Entrepreneurship’ class by asking how many had ever had a “million dollar idea?” When only a few hands went up, I suggested that I was sure that every single person in the room had had at least one ‘million dollar idea’ and better yet, even more likely that we’d all had several million dollar ideas in our lifetimes. The only reason that we weren’t sitting in a pot full of cash right now was because we hadn’t acted on the idea – either because we had shrugged it off as a ‘fleeting’ thought (figured that it didn’t have potential), or we didn’t know how to act on it, or we weren’t motivated to act on it given other priorities at the time! All possibly valid reasons, but also missed opportunities.
Starting and running a business is no easy task. It takes a good idea, strong self-initiative, determination, perseverance, energy, and often circumstance & luck. The learning curve is huge in a vast number of areas, with many distractions, and you’ll need trusted help, advice & experience from where ever you can find it along the way and as you grow.
On this blog section of Doug’s Unlimited, I’ll share my passion for business along with the practical knowledge & learnings that I continue to gather as both an Angel Investor and Business Coach to assist, motivate and maybe even empower businesses to achieve sustainable success and/or lucrative exits. The ideas will be offered from my own experience and perspective which I affectionately refer to as “Doug-onomics”, which (of course) comes with a disclaimer:
“Discussion may include Forward-Looking Statements based on the Past, and Past Experiences that May Influence the Future; Some of Which May Be Applicable; …Or Not.”
The ideas offered in this blog will hopefully generate useful and practical dialogue & ideas for all who follow it. Maybe together we can reduce some of the “sometimes wrong” frustrations for early-start businesses. Your constructive & practical input is welcome!
- 8 Immediate Actions to Scale Up Your Business - June 6, 2018
- Are You Constantly Navigating Your Ship (Business) From The Engine Room Rather than the Fly Bridge? (6 Actions To Keep You OUT Of The Engine Room) - April 18, 2018
- Business Culture Inside Equals Brand Outside (Why It’s Essential to Build from Within) - March 7, 2018
- 6 Essentials to Catapult Your Sales Growth (“It’s hard to sell mediocre”) - January 29, 2018
- “Debottlenecking” Your Business, Not Just Your Operations - November 1, 2017
- Increased Revenue Does NOT (necessarily) Increase Sale-Value - July 26, 2017
- Let the Silence Do Your Talking - May 15, 2017
- Business Execution is Like Building a Puzzle - April 27, 2017
- Optimizing Your Peer-to-Peer Coaching and Mentoring Experience - March 28, 2017
- What 3 Things Would You Change In Your Business? - March 6, 2017